2023-24 Sherwood Jr. Ambassador Selection
The Jr. Ambassador is a program offered to high school freshmen who desire the opportunity to learn more about Sherwood and the surrounding community and how to become more involved in our city. You will meet community leaders from area businesses, government agencies, military installations, and civic organizations. You will be introduced into an environment designed to enhance and develop your leadership and networking skills which will benefit you now and in the future.
The Sherwood Chamber of Commerce provides the criteria and application materials, as well as the number of openings available, to each participating school organization. Each school organization is then responsible for accepting the completed application packets and forwarding them to the committee, which is made up of educators and members of the business community. Committee representatives maintain an active role during the duration of the program.
- Be a member of a 2023-24 freshman class of a one of the three community schools in the area (Sylvan Hills High School, Abundant Life Christian Academy, Lisa Academy, or local home school student)
- Demonstrate leadership in his/her school and/or community
- Have an interest in furthering his/her knowledge about Sherwood and community leadership
- Commit to FULL PARTICIPATION in the Jr. Ambassador program. IF FOR ANY REASON YOU FEEL THAT YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO MEET THIS EXPECTATION DUE TO PARTICIPATION IN ATHLETICS, BAND, CHOIR, CHEER, DANCE, WORK, CLASSES, ETC. THEN YOU MAY NEED TO RECONSIDER YOUR DECISION TO APPLY FOR THE JR. AMBASSADOR PROGRAM.
Applications will be thoroughly reviewed. Selection criteria include:
- Commitment to personal growth
- Commitment and motivation to serve the community through volunteer work
- Personal commitment to improving the community environment to favorably impact the development and quality of the community
- Strength of endorsements
- Resume and Cover Letter
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Reliable attendance history in school
** TENTATIVE **
If you have a personal emergency that requires you to miss a Jr. Ambassador session, you must contact the Jr. Ambassador Chamber Liaison prior to the date of the session for your absence to be excused. The Jr. Ambassador program is designed to be a component of your school responsibilities, and as such we are required to notify your school of any absences. Any unexcused absences may disqualify your continuation in the program.
Should there be INCLEMENT WEATHER, please be aware that if the Pulaski County Special School District is closed, the Jr. Ambassador session will also be cancelled on that day. However, if the Pulaski County Special School District is NOT closed but YOUR SCHOOL IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, you will be excused.
|November 9th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 1: Introduction & Leadership Challenge-UCA Challenge|
|December 13th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 2: State Government/Legislative Committee Session at the Capitol|
|January 10th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 3: Sherwood & Economic Tour|
|February 7th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 4: Teambuilding at Camp Robinson/Camp Pike/Tour|
|March 6th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 5: Tour of LRAFB|
|April 10th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – Session 6: Presentation of Project Award Winners/Graduation Lunch|